How to Prepare for the CCNP TSHOOT Exam
I attended the TSHOOT prep session today at Cisco Live. Here are the notes I took and some snippets from the presentation. Sorry if this is a bit disjointed, that was the nature of the presentation.
What does the TSHOOT exam cover?
- Routing: EIGRP, OSPF, RIP, BGP
- A lot of hands on
Note: TSHOOT does not focus on wireless, voice, security products, or specific WAN protocols (MPLS, advanced BGP)
- TSHOOT Course
- Exam Certification Guide from Cisco Press
Troubleshooting methods that can be used on the exam:
- Shoot from the hip - "Ready, Fire, Aim" - come up with your best, educated guess and give it a try
- Top down - Follow the ISO model from the Application layer and work your way down. For example, a website doesn't load when you go to website.com, then try pinging or traceroute.
- Bottom up - Opposite top down. If layer 1 is there, check for mac addresses in the table, then check layer 3 with a ping.
- Divide and Conquer - start in the middle. If connectivity doesn't work, start with a ping. If it works, then you can start troubleshooting toward the top at the application layer. If it doesn't work, check layer 2 or layer 1.
- Follow the path - using a traceroute, you can sometimes find the device having a problem, or a device adjacent to the device having a problem. Follow the path hop by hop until you find the problem.
- Spot the difference - similar to using diff to compare configurations, compare a working device configuration to a non-working device configuration to see if there are differences in the setup
Commands to use for verifying layer 3
- show ip route - view the routing table
- show ip route <IP address> - view a specific entry in the routing table for the provided address. If an entry doesn't match, it will say network not in table.
- show ip cef <IP address> - displays the best match for the address in the FIB
- show ip cef exact-route <src-ip> <dst-ip> - use this command when the routing table and FIB list multiple entries
Exam Taking TIps
- Eliminate options - look for subtleties
- Look for best answer
- Budget time
- Make an intelligent guess
- Provide feedback during exam
The topology is available ahead of time so you can study it and become familiar with it. I posted about this a while back.